So my journey takes me to Etsy, I've been told to avoid it for awhile
from various sources due to the money it takes of you, but it's no more than selling anything off eBay
or the charges through PayPal. So I've gone ahead and made a page for now.
I'm hoping it's going to drive me forward to make garments outside of class, so during the summer I can be part time chef, part time seamstress
I'm thinking of starting off
week 1) planning
week 2) patterns
week 3) patterns
week 4) sew
Week 5) sew
I've posted up some of my things on their so far
💛 My Etsy Store 💛
Drawing the simple designs I will start with, and experiment a bit in between for other things to try expand what I know.
been looking at the other foots for my overlocker so going to make a video or blog post about that soon!
Tuesday, 16 May 2017
Monday, 15 May 2017
Design and make project work
I felt today was super productive,
(1) started and finished my dress with some tweaks to the patterns and finished my jacket
Tweaks on dress:
- I was originally going to have the zip on the side, even without sleeves this would be really impractical to get into, but with sleeves it's pretty much near to impossible.
- So because of this I move the zip to the back of the garment, and because of this I had to make a new neck facing hold my old one in half draw another pattern and add a 1 cm seam to the cut edge to allow room for the zip. The back patterns both skirt and top half had to have a 1 cm attached also.
- I also learned while making my mock up that the front neck facing and front neck, will need fused in order to make sure it sits right and also to make sure it doesn't stretch this could also be attached with plastic boning as well as with fusing. Both would also work.
- The sleeves didn't turn out how I imagined they would either, so for the actual garment i'm going to make them shorter and flare more.
picture above of me sewing the one piece sleeve.
Lined denim jacket:
I'm really happy with the outcome of the jacket, I love the flare in it, I think when I make it again, I am going to make fusing higher up on the bottom part cause I love the structure of it, but i'd love to make it even more dramatic!
I think i'd also add 2 or more buttons under the one I have currently on it.
I want to get out of the habit of using only one button on my jackets.
Friday, 12 May 2017
I've just finished my Graded unit last week
notes are all done now (more or less)
I found it was good as long as I kept taking notes, and photograhs of the progress
here is some below:
this is the unlined jacket I done before it was all put together I overlocked the garment but I think i'm going to make another jacket but binding the edges instead for a better finish
I really like how it looks inside out (I decided to go with copying part of the front pattern for my faces, and I was a bit unsure how it was going to sit at first but i really like it would work I think if bindinded both ways, I think I could make a really funky jacket with this.
Last but not least, the final garment, I used an blind stitcher to finish the sleeves and hem and I found this alot neater than blind stitching by hand
(below is the blind stitching and the finished jacket)